Skip to main content

Why We Should Find Alternative Ways of Living to Avoid Eviction & Homelessness



    
    
         It was a sunny day in June when we found out our landlord wouldn't be renewing our lease, the day was going great, I made a couple of sales, business wasn't great but it was paying bills. I was talking to my husband in "the shop" (the tiny home in the backyard that turned out to be the perfect workspace) about the rodent problem that we were experiencing when my oldest son came in with the mail. There it was, a notice that our landlord wouldn't be renewing our lease. The talk of rodents went elsewhere, we immediately went into survival mode thinking and planning what would be our next move. We were starting over with the house, at the top of our budget at 1400 dollars a month plus utilities.  The duplex we lived in before the house was great for a Sunnyside Duplex,. The landlord kept it up, but there was a shootout there, and that raised concerns with my husband and I, which caused us to look for another place to live. So we found thou house with the help of his mother. The landlord seemed sweet at the time, but in all actuality, she played on our need to get out of the so-called hood. The house wasn't cleaned out properly, and for the first 6 months we had to take showers, but we still gave it a shot and made it work for 12 months, Until the letter in the mail.


        She wasn't renewing the lease and gave us the remainder of the month to vacate, my husband ended up selling his car and I ended up fixing my fuel pump on my truck then we planned to go to the country to my husband's grandmother's land and work the land, start a garden, and get tiny homes to live in for us and my oldest son. We were set our plan was a go and we were leaving. Moving day came, and we had everything packed and ready to make a 2-hour drive to the country, we stopped at Gran's house to say our farewells for the moment and found out that we couldn't go at the last minute. That floored us, our plans were out of there. We had nothing, no plan B. We had to come up with something, the kids were looking at us like what was happening, the dog was overheated, and it was up to us to think of something. In comes Travelodge...





     We decided to check into a room, get storage, and start over we put our business on the back burner and picked up shifts at a local fast-food restaurant to save up enough money to start over with a new place to live. We used a website called Priceline to compare prices so we could get a good price for a room. The check-in process went smoothly but we were so far away close to Hobby Airport. We went to get the storage and found out that the water pump on the truck was bad, so even if we had made it to the country we would've been stuck. My brother and my husband fixed the water pump and we were up and rolling again. We ended up checking out and going to Wyndham Extended Stay, The rooms were ok, but very expensive and cut into out savings deep, so we had to look for work we thought. Everything was working out, so I thought. So I started the shift first thinking that I needed to break my back to work for someone only to pay for a room to sleep in and get up and do it all again. Every dime we made went to room fees we had no room for miscellaneous things or even room to save money and  I think not.
      We started looking into alternative ways of living, simple is better, I had to ask myself do I really need all of this to make me happy. Like what exactly do we need right now?  I am even at the point where I am calculating how much money I would need monthly to live comfortably. I am preparing to live out of our truck, and I have purchased some things that will make it easier to do. Until we save enough money to purchase our trailer and get on the road. The goal is to be free, taking our real estate business on the road, and our graphic design business as well, because everything that I do from graphics to photography can be done remotely. With that being said I am ready to live and experience all that life has for me. My husband and I are ready to go, my kids are ready, and my oldest wants to go to California and visit his friends. We are on our way and I suggest this way of living for anyone who wants to get out of the rat race and the hustle and bustle of things. Don't get me wrong we will still work, but it will be for us and we will make the profit. but for now, we are still working at the fast food restaurant planning to leave within the next month.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Bouncing Back: Steps to Pick up the Pieces and Start Again

       B ouncing back, picking up the pieces, picking up yourself, starting over, whatever you want to call it requires a whole lot of patience and perseverance. When we fall, man, we tend to fall hard some of us have a hard time getting back up, some of us need a boost or some kind of motivation to get out of the slump. Don't feel bad, we have all been through it. Falling on your face will surely make you feel like shit, but you got to get on up now! (in my Jodeci voice) the comeback is always phenomenal so don't trip. Find your Reason.      Shit happens in life, we got to be prepared for everything these days, but when we aren't prepared and shit just hits us back-to-back it throws us off track, well it is up to us to hop back on the saddle and ride till the wheels fall off, or the hooves, whatever. Just get the hell up and do something, find your reason, find a good reason to do it and do it for you. Give yourself time to feel bad, cry if you have to and let it all ou

Finding employment in Houston............

                It seems to be the hardest thing to do these days.....  with unemployment rates rising and companies  continuously laying off employees, people are becoming discouraged. The workforce is crowded, it's like future employees are fighting for jobs. Well with that said, I took the liberty to help find ways to make money and tips on how to find the right job for you. First off, we will look at some of the things that can possibly stop you from finding a good job, we will start with appearance. Overall appearance plays a big role in job-hunting, employers want to see their future employee in business professional attire, not in everyday street wear. When attending an interview men should be sure to be clean shaven, hair should be groomed, clothes should be cleaned, ironed, shirts tucked in, and belts if pants have loops. There should be no jewelry, unless it's a wedding band, earrings, necklaces, gold teeth, are prohibited and should not be worn to an interview.